About Steven M. Horwitz D.C.
Click Here To Read About My 1996 Summer Olympic Experience!
Dr. Steven Horwitz is a graduate of both Cornell University and the National College of Chiropractic. He is certified as a Chiropractic Sports Physician, Strength and Conditioning Specialist and a USA Weightlifting Club Coach. In 2006, he was named to the Guide to America’s TOP CHIROPRACTORS by the Consumer’s Research Council of America. He is a credentialed Active Release Techniques®practitioner (upper extremities, spine, and lower extremities) and is a certified Graston Technique provider.
Dr. Horwitz was selected by the United States Olympic Committee as the sole chiropractor for the 1996 United States Olympic Team and has traveled internationally with U.S.A. Track and Field. He was the chairman of the USA Track and Field Potomac Valley Sports Medicine Committee and the Maryland Chiropractic Association Sports Council. He works the Diakon Baseball Group, to provide injury prevention and strength and conditioning services to professional baseball players. He was the team chiropractor for George Mason University, has worked with athletes from Georgetown University and University of Maryland and currently consults with American University. He treats athletes from many local high schools as well.
In 1996, Dr. Horwitz was appointed by the Governor to the Maryland Council on Physical Fitness. He served as the Chairman of the council from January 2002 until June 2004. In May 2004, Dr. Horwitz was selected as the Maryland State Director for the National Strength and Conditioning Association. He is a recipient of the Maryland Chiropractic Association’s Outstanding Achievement Award, was the sports medicine expert on WTEM Sports Radio, and Washingtonian magazine chose him as one of the area’s top sports medicine doctors.
Dr. Horwitz is the author of the book YOU CAN BE FIT! and has written two fitness manuals: Golf Fitness Made Easy! and Rotator Cuff Relief: The Ultimate Guide to Rotator Cuff Performance and Injury Prevention.
He currently writes a golf fitness column for GolftheMidAtlantic.com and teaches a golf fitness class for the Montgomery County Recreation Department. He teaches Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries, a required course for Maryland Public High School coaches and teaches golf fitness classes for the Montgomery County Recreation Department. He has provided care for dance and theater groups like Jesus Christ Super Star, The Rockettes, Dance Theatre of Harlem, Crazy For You and Chicago.
An avid athlete, Dr. Horwitz studies martial arts, has run marathons, was the 1986 A.A.U. Collegiate Mr. America Bodybuilding Class Winner, and the 198lb. class winner at the 2000 100% RAW World Powerlifting Championships.
ARTICLES ABOUT OR QUOTING DR. HORWITZ:
Fitness Guru Horwitz Shares His Wisdom
ACL Injuries in Female Athletes
America’s Pastime: Prevention and Treatment of Overuse Injuries in Baseball and Softball
Not So Fast on that Makeover – The Washington Post
Chiropractic Care: Backing Up Olympic Athletes
Chiropractic and Sports – The Athlete’ Choice for Sports Care
Chiropractors Offer Tips to Keep Your Young Athlete Healthy and Fit
Keep Young Athletes Healthy and Fit
Sprains and Strains
Alumni Success Story
- National College of Chiropractic, Lombard, Illinois
Doctor of Chiropractic, 1986
Bachelor of Science, 1984
- Cornell University, Ithaca, New York
Bachelor of Arts, 1982
- National College of Chiropractic, Lombard, Illinois
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey, New York, Illinois – Inactive
APPOINTMENTS AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Maryland State Director, National Strength and Conditioning Association, 4/04 – present.
- Panel of Experts, www.MomsTeam.com, 4/04 – present
- Appointed by the Governor to the Maryland Advisory Council on Physical Fitness, 1996 – 2004. Chairman, 1/02 – 6/04.
- Certified Chiropractic Sports Physician (C.C.S.P.)
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (C.S.C.S.), National Strength and Conditioning Association
- USA Weightlifting Club Coach
- American Heart Association Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Instructor
SPORTS MEDICINE EXPERIENCE
- Games of the XXVI Olympiad, 1996 Summer Olympic Games, Atlanta, Georgia
Selected by United States Olympic Committee as the only chiropractor on the sports medicine staff of the United States Olympic Team. Provided chiropractic care for all United States athletes at the 1996 Olympic Games.
- NFL Players’ Association Treating Chiropractor, 1991-present.
- National Marathon, Event Chiropractor, 2007.
- Potomac Valley Athletic Association – Sports Medicine Committee Chairman, 1992- 2002.
- Maryland Elite Athletic Club, Team Doctor, 1999- 2001.
- American University – University Sports Chiropractic Consultant, 1997- present.
- Maryland Elite Grand Prix Invitational, Prince George’s Sports and Learning Complex, January, 2000.
- FLIA Wresting Freestyle World Cup 2000, George Mason University, Chiropractor, 2000.
- Adidas D.C. Invitational Track and Field Championships, 2000.
- Potomac Valley Athletic Association Championships, 1991-93,95-96,98,02,03.
- Jr. Pan American Track and Field Championships, Havana, Cuba, 1997.
Sole team chiropractor on USA Track and Field Medical Staff.
- American Arm Wrestling Championships, Crystal City, Virginia, 1997
- United States Olympic Festival – Event Chiropractor, 1995.
Selected by United States Olympic Committee as one of two chiropractors at the Festival. Responsible for chiropractic care for all athletes.
- United States Olympic Training Center – Chiropractor, 1994
Selected by United States Olympic Committee to provide chiropractic care for all athletes at the USOC center in Colorado Springs, CO.
- Mobil I Invitational Track and Field Championships, George Mason University 1991-93, 95-97.
Chiropractor, Responsible for chiropractic care to athletes.
- Marine Corps Marathon – Medical Staff, 1994-95.
- George Mason University – University Sports Chiropractor, 1989-93.
Responsible for chiropractic care for all university athletes. Traveled with Track Team to NCAA, IC4A, and Penn Relay Championships.
- TAC National Championships, New York, Medical Staff, 1991.
- Potomac Valley Athletic Association, Jr. Olympics, Medical Director, 1991
- TAC East Coast Invitational, Medical Staff, 1990-1991.
- U.S. Powerlifting Maryland Championships, Medical Director, 1991.
- U.S. Powerlifting Collegiate National Championships, Medical Staff, 1990. 1989.
- Maryland State Games, Medical Staff, 1989.
- New Jersey High School Weightlifting Championships, Medical Director, 1988.
- Games of the XXVI Olympiad, 1996 Summer Olympic Games, Atlanta, Georgia
PERFORMING ARTS EXPERIENCE
- Treatment of the cast, stagehands, costume designers and hairdressers.
Les Arts Saux, Kennedy Center, Washington, D.C., 1999
- Chicago, Mechanic Theater, Baltimore, MD, 1999
- The Dance Theatre of Harlem, Kennedy Center, Washington, D.C., 1995
- Crazy For You, Kennedy Center, Washington, D.C., 1995
- Jesus Christ Super Star, Warner Theater, Washington, D.C., 1994
- The Great Radio City Music Hall Spectacular with The Rockettes, Baltimore, MD, 1994
- Horwitz, Steven, M. Rotator Cuff Relief: The Ultimate Guide to Rotator Cuff Performance and Injury Prevention, 2007
- Horwitz, Steven, M. Golf Fitness Made Easy! A Complete Golf Fitness and Injury Prevention Program, 2006
- Horwitz, Steven, M. YOU CAN BE FIT! A simple guide to understanding fitness and nutrition. Des Moines: Foundation for Chiropractic Education and Research. November 1993.
- Monthly Golf Fitness column for GolftheMidAtlantic.com. 2006 – present
- Horwitz, Steven, M. Olympic Gold: Recalling the Spirit of the XXVI Olympic Games, Journal of the American Chiropractic Association, Vol. 34, No. 6, 1997
- Horwitz, Steven, M. How To Get On Track, Alumnus: The NCC Alumni Association Magazine, Vol.33, No. 2, 1997
- Horwitz, Steven, M. The Olympic Medical Corps: An Olympic High,Biomechanics, Vol. 3, No.8,1996.
- Horwitz, Steven, M. Olympic Athletes Give Thanks for Chiropractic,Dynamic Chiropractic, Vol.14 , No. 21., 1996.
- Horwitz, Steven, M. Making the Team. An Olympic Hint on How to Build a Sports Therapy Practice, InPractice, Vol. I, No. 4, 1996.
- Horwitz, Steven, M. Golf Elbow. The Washington GOLF Monthly, July 1996.
- Horwitz, Steven, M. Anabolic Steroids: The Road to the Gold or Grave, American Medical Athletic Association Quarterly, Vol. 10, No. 1, 1996.
- Horwitz, Steven, M. The Golf Doctor. A Pain in the Back. The Washington GOLF Monthly, May, 1996.
- Horwitz, Steven, M. Heat Illness and Proper Hydration, East Coast Invitational Track and Field Championships Program, 1996.
- Horwitz, Steven, M. Olympic Dreams Do Come True, Dynamic Chiropractic, Vol. 13, No. 26, 1995
- Horwitz, Steven, M. Clinician’s Corner: Starting a Patient on an Exercise Program, Chiropractic Sports Medicine, Vol. 9, No.1, 1995.
- Horwitz, Steven, M. Getting Help for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome,Washington Office, October, 1995.
- Horwitz, Steven, M., Anabolic Steroids: The Road to the Gold or The Road to the Grave. A self-published pamphlet describing anabolic steroids, how they work and their side effects, 1994.
- Horwitz, Steven, M. Anabolic Steroids, East Coast Invitational Track and Field Championships Program, 1994.
- Novakoski, Francis, J. Pumping Iron Over 40, Jacksonville Medical Journal, Summer, 1993. Contributing writer.
- Horwitz, Steven, M. Achilles Tendon Injuries, East Coast Invitational Track and Field Championships Program, 1992.
- Horwitz, Steven, M. Sports Injuries: Recognition, Treatment and Prevention, East Coast Invitational Track and Field Championships Program, 1991.
- Contributing writer to USA Track and Field-Potomac Valley Association Newsletter
TELEVISION AND RADIO APPEARANCES
- WUSA9-TV (CBS) Anabolic Steroids, 2005
- WUSA9-TV (CBS) Heat Injuries and Hydration, August 2005
- Youth Sports Radio – Anabolic Steroids, Sports Performance Training, Sports Injury Prevention, April and May 2005.
- High School Sports Show, Comcast SportsNet TV – Anabolic Steroids, April 2004.
- Healthy Life Show, WOLB Radio – How to Get and Stay Fit, November 18, 2003.
- Newsnight Maryland, Maryland Public Television – Seniors and Exercise, January 3, 2000.
- Healthline, News Channel 8, Interview discussing proper athletic shoe fit, April 28, 1999
- News Counterpoint, Montgomery Community Television, 1998
- Contour Cloud Pillow Infomercial. Co-host/expert on infomercial for a cervical pillow, July 1997.
- The Doc and Dan Show, WTEM Radio, Weekly segment discussing sports injuries, fitness and nutrition. Questions taken live, May 1994 to July 1997.
- Montgomery Community Television News, May 29, 1997
- Forward Motion with Karen Allyn, Montgomery Community Television, October, 1996
- WJLA-TV (ABC) Sports, Olympic Games Preview, June 18, 1996
- WTTG-TV (Fox) News, Olympic Games Preview, June 13, 1996
- Forward Motion with Karen Allyn, Montgomery Community Television, June, 1996
- Montgomery Community Television News, June 6, 1996
- The Glen Harris Show, News Channel 8, 1996
- The Sports Edge with Doc Walker and Larry Michael, Home Team Sports, 1996
- The Kid Club with Renaldo Nehemiah, Home Team Sports, 1995
- The Fitness Show with Renaldo Nehemiah, WTEM Radio, 1995
- The Sports Edge with Doc Walker and Larry Michael, Home Team Sports, 1994
- Inside the Locker Room with Doc Walker, WMAL Radio, 1993
- Power Sports Talk, WRC Radio, 1993
- Muscle Medicine, WABC Radio National Series Steroids hosted by Forrest Sawyer,1989
- Teen Talk- Montgomery Community Television, ACE award winning show, 1989
- PE-22 Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries, Maryland Public Secondary Schools Athletic Association (MPSSAA), Co-Chairperson. State mandated 15-hour course for high school coaches given quarterly. 2005 – present.
- Montgomery County Public School Coaches, Strength and Conditioning for the High School Athlete, June 10, 2006
- Montgomery County Recreation Department, Strength Training and Stretching for Runners, Spring 2006
- Montgomery County Recreation Department, Golf Fitness Made Easy, Spring 2006
- Montgomery County Recreation Department, Golf Fitness Made Easy, Winter 2006
INVITED PROFESSIONAL PRESENTATIONS
- Sports Diet and Nutrition, Maryland State NSCA Clinic, Montgomery Community College, June 2, 2007.
- Anabolic Steroids and the High School Athlete, 31st Maryland State Athletic Directors Association Conference, Ocean City, Maryland, April 27-29, 2007.
- Rotator Cuff Relief: How to Train the Rotator Cuff, Mid-Atlantic Strength Symposium, George Mason University, February 24, 2007.
- Strength and Conditioning for the Physical Educator, Dynamic Warm-up and Stretching Myths, Anabolic Steroid Abuse, Maryland Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (MAHPERD) 2006 Convention, October 20, 2006.
- The Chiropractor as a Field and Multi-Disciplinary Field Practitioner, Israeli Chiropractic Society International Sports Medicine Symposium, Israel 2005 Maccabiah Games, Tel Aviv, Israel, July 10, 2005.
- Soft Tissue Injuries: Recognition, Care, and Prevention, Maryland NSCA State Strength and Conditioning Conference, College Park, MD, May 7, 2005.
- Weight Training Injuries: Recognition and Prevention, Maryland Chiropractic Association Continuing Education Forum, Baltimore, MD, March, 2000.
- Anabolic Steroids, ACBSP Chiropractic Sports Science Symposium, Baltimore, MD, March, 2000.
- Weight Training Injuries: Recognition and Prevention, North Carolina Chiropractic Society Sports Injury Symposium, July, 1999.
- Chiropractic Case Study Presentations, George Washington University Center for Integrated Medicine, November/December, 1998.
- Olympic Case Studies, American College of Sports Medicine, Greater New York Chapter, New York, N.Y., November 21, 1998.
- The Chiropractic Profession, Traditional School of Acupuncture, Columbia, MD, November 12, 1998.
- Chiropractic, Association of Operating Room Nurses, National Naval Medical Center, October 24,1998.
- Sports Injuries, The National College of Chiropractic Homecoming, June 26-28, 1997.
- Weight Training Injuries, Functional Training for Young & Older Adults, Wellness, Fitness & Sports Performance Conference, American Fitness Professionals, Bethesda, MD, February 7-9,1996.
- Injuries in Weightlifting Competition, American College of Sports Medicine, Greater New York Regional Chapter, Downtown Athletic Club, New York, November 23, 1996.
- Role of the Allied Health Care Professional in the Tent, Marine Corps Marathon Sports Medicine Symposium, Bethesda, MD, October 25, 1996.
- A Chiropractic Olympiad, Maryland Chiropractic Association Fall Convention, Frederick, MD, October 18, 1996.
- Commencement Address, The National College of Chiropractic, Lombard, IL, Commencement, August 17, 1996.
- What Every Athlete Needs to Know about Sports Nutrition, Drugs, and Alcohol, Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School, August 30, 2007.
- Office Ergonomics, WHM/Freddie Mac Wellness Center, McLean, VA, February 16, 2006.
- Gardening Ergonomics, U.S. National Arboretum, Washington, D.C., January 19, 2006.
- Ergonomics and Exercise, Montgomery County Beekeeping Society, Silver Spring, MD, February 2005.
- Ergonomics in the Workplace, Discovery Channel Headquarters, Silver Spring, MD October 2003.
- Proper Posture, Maryland Senior Fitness Day hosted by Maryland Council on Physical Fitness, Leisure World, Maryland, May 2003.
- “You Can Be Fit”- Ergonomics, Fitness, Nutrition, Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, Wheaton, MD, January 2002.
- Chiropractic, Traditional Institute of Acupuncture, Columbia, MD, 2000.
- Chiropractic, Commission for Women, Rockville, MD, March 2000.
- Workplace Injury Prevention, Capital “I” Day 2000, Falls Church, VA, March 2000.
- “You Can Be Fit”- Ergonomics, Fitness, Nutrition, Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, Rockville, MD, March 2000.
- Back Care and Injury Prevention, Northern Virginia Police Academy,1999.
- Sports Injuries – Prevention and Care, Maryland Senior Fitness Sports Clinic hosted by Maryland Council on Physical Fitness, University of Maryland, June 7, 1997.
- Ergonomics, Nutrition and Fitness, Central Processing Association Semi-Annual Conference, Fairfax, VA, May 15, 1997.
- Sports Nutrition, Volleyball Coaches Clinic, George Mason University, April 26, 1997.
- Olympic Sports Medicine, Border’s Book Store – White Flint Mall, November 26, 1996.
- Post-Graduate Instructor: New York Chiropractic College – Chiropractic Sports Physician Courses- C.C.S.P. and Diplomate; Maryland Chiropractic Association.
- Anabolic Steroids: American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance; Fairfax County Police Department; University of Maryland; Washington College; Montgomery Community College; Montgomery Public Schools – students, teachers, coaches.
- Back Care and Injury Prevention: The National Archives, Dunn and Bradstreet Corporate Center; Harry Diamond Laboratories; Fairfax County Government Office of Personnel; Fairland Recreation Center; Congressional Quarterly, Silver Spring Dental Club.
- Bicycling Injuries: Bicycle and Touring Club of North Jersey.
- Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries: Bowie State College, Graduate Division; Fairfax County Police Department, Congressional Quarterly, Laurel Health Club.
- Chiropractic: Traditional Institute of Acupuncture, Columbia, MD.
- CPR Instructor: Holy Cross Hospital, Silver Spring, MD, Medical Residents, Hackensack Hospital, New Jersey; Chiropractic Sports Physician Course.
- Fitness and Nutrition: Montgomery County High School Physical Education Department Chairpersons, Congressional Quarterly, Silver Spring Rotary Club, Bethesda/Chevy Chase High School.
- Strength and Conditioning: Montgomery County High School Physical Education Department Chairpersons; Bowie State College, Graduate Division.
- Active Release Techniques®, Upper Extremities, May 2007
- Active Release Techniques®, Long Tract Nerve Entrapments, September 2006
- NSCA National Conference, July 13-15, 2006
- Kinesio Taping® – K1 and K2, June 2-3, 2006
- NSCA National Steroid Summit, April 7, 2006
- AIDS and Risk Management, March 12, 2006
- Active Release Techniques®, Upper Extremities, September 2005
- Maryland State NSCA Strength and Conditioning Conference, May 2005
- USA Weightlifting Club Coach Certification, November 2004
- NSCA National Conference, July 2004
- AIDS and Risk Management, March 2004
- Risk Management, March 2003
- Active Release Techniques®, Upper Extremities, January 2003
- HIPAA Compliance Seminar, October 2002
- Graston Technique- Module II, September 2002
- Graston Technique- Module 1, June 2002
- AIDS and Risk Management, March 2002
- Active Release Techniques®, Lower Extremities, February 2002
- AIDS and Risk Management, March 2001
- Active Release Techniques®, Lower Extremities, January 2001
- ACBSP Chiropractic Sports Science Symposium, Baltimore, MD, March, 2000
- Active Release Techniques®, Upper Extremities, March 2000
- Pediatrics, Maryland Chiropractic Association Convention, October 1999
- Active Release Techniques®, Spine, June 1999
- Active Release Techniques®, Upper Extremities, March 1999
- IDEA Personal Training Summit 1999
- Powerlifting Training Methods, Louis Simmons, 1998
- Fundamentals of Periodization, Charles Poliquin, 1998
- Risk Management and the Chiropractic Office, 1998
- AIDS and the Chiropractic Office, 1997
- Activator Methods, 1996
- Whiplash, The Masters Program – San Diego Spine Institute, 1994
- IDEA National Fitness Conference, 1994
- Grand Orthopedic Rounds, Georgetown Hospital, “Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip”, 1993
- Grand Orthopedic Rounds, Georgetown Hospital,”Operative Treatment of Low Back Pain,” 1993
- AIDS and the Health Care Professional – Palmer Chiropractic College, 1993
- Chiropractic Technique, Alfred States, D.C., 1992
- The F.I.C.S. 2nd Annual International Symposium on Sports Chiropractic, 1990
- ACA Sports Council Annual Symposium, 1990
- Grand Orthopedic Rounds, Georgetown Hospital, 1989-90
- Rating of Physical Impairment for Disability Evaluation, 1988
- Applied Kinesiology Seminars, 1987
- Motion Palpation Institute, 1986
- Nimmo Technique, 1986
- Stress and Anxiety Diagnosis and Treatment, Fair Oaks Hospital, 1986
- Clinical Gait Analysis, Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine, 1986
- American Chiropractic Association
- American Chiropractic Association Council on Sports Injuries and Physical Fitness
- Federation Internationale Chiropractique Sportive, Full Member
- Maryland Chiropractic Association
- National Strength and Conditioning Association
- United States Olympic Sports Medicine Society
AWARDS AND HONORS
- 2006 Guide to America’s TOP CHIROPRACTORS, Consumer’s Research Council of America
- Governor’s Citation, Robert Ehrlich, Governor, June 30, 2004
- Presidential Citation Award, National College of Chiropractic, 1997
- Certificate of Appreciation, National College of Chiropractic, 1997
- Maryland Historical Society Olympic Treasures Museum Display, 1997
- Governor’s Citation, Paris Glendening, Governor, August 20, 1996
- Outstanding Achievement Award, Maryland Chiropractic Association, 1996
- Chosen as one of Washington’s Top Sports Doctors by Washingtonian Magazine , 1995
- 100% RAW World Powerlifting Championships, 198lb. Masters Winner, 2000
- A.A.U. Maryland Powerlifting Championships, 198lb. Sub-masters Runner Up, 1999
- Studied Hapkido with 10th Degree Grandmaster Jin Pal Kim, 1993-95
- Collegiate Mr. America Bodybuilding Championships, Class Champion, 1986
- Mr. Chicagoland Bodybuilding Championships, 1984
- Chicago Drug-Free Powerlifting Championships, 1984
- Badger State Powerlifting Championships, 1983
- Orange Bowl Marathon, 1980
- Finger Lakes Marathon, 1979
References available upon request